Baby Boy,

You’re now 18 months old. That means, I’ve been a mother for 28 months. Yep, since the moment you were conceived we consider ourselves parents, Papa and I.

Though I was the one who exclusively knew your movements and your rhythms for those first months before you were earthside with us, your Papa was there through it all. As a matter of fact, if it weren’t for your Papa, much of the time none of us would have eaten anything. See, because I really wasn’t into cooking and especially not meat. I was just so tired much if the time, between watching over you all day as your grew inside and with what I did for work at that time.

Ever since you joined us 18 months ago, you’ve shown us who you are more and more. Clearly you’ve a bit of Papa’s jokester personality, but you’ve also quite a bit of my personality. You certainly love getting attention and just delight when there’s a compliment thrown your way (which is much more often than not). You are so attached to your hair it’s hilarious. Although I can often be heard saying it looks messy or it needs a trim, I do hope your beautiful floppy curls stick around for some time.

You’re such a loving and busy boy, I’m often not sure if I’m frustrated with your busyness or enamored with the love and delight you bring to me  I fear that sometimes you see and hear the frustrated me more than my heart filling with so much joy and wonderment at your knowledge, your gorgeous smile, the way you hold your head just so, or the way you look up at me as we go about our day.

Our biggest transition yet is about to happen. We’re moving into a house. A house we’ve searched long and hard fir, one with a big yard, trees to play around and shade us, plus so much room for growth. Growth as a family, your growth, and growth of all of us in other intangible ways. I’ve had visions of you playing in a nice yard for months and now that we’ve found a place that feels right to us, I can’t wait to see your face as you explore our new place.

Little boy, you’re becoming less and less a baby and more and more a boy unto yourself. For this mile marker birthday, I wish you delight and so much joy. The next months to follow will be busy as we adjust to our new place, navigate the holidays, and Papa and I discuss having a sibling for you. In the midst of all that I know you’ll just keep being you. I only hope that I stay present enough during the busy times to watch your personality continue developing.

With Love on your 18 month birthday and always,

Momma

sand, park, baby, playing, family, fun, 17 months

family, baby, 17 months, love
Loving on Momma

playing, baby, 17 months, fun, family

17 months, 18 months, park, playing, swinging, family, fun
Spending some time at the park to celebrate!
28 months of Mothering

10 thoughts on “28 months of Mothering

• December 5, 2014 at 11:22 pm

We live at our new place, though our belongings are still in the garage lol. Baby Boy turned 18 months the day before we started moving here.

Love his messy curls! 🙂

• December 5, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Thank you! I do love these letters I write. They’re special because they document so much…. my love, or time together, and his growth. 🙂

• December 6, 2014 at 4:04 am

Aww! I can’t believe he’s 18 months!
    And I agree about the cooking front. If my husband hadn’t cooked (and shudder..chicken.. during that time), we wouldn’t have eaten. I could barely get off the couch for my then two-year-old!
    Tamara recently posted…The Most Memorable Photo Shoot I’ve Ever Had.My Profile

• December 7, 2014 at 1:58 am

I truly have no idea what we’ll do if I have the same aversion issues when we get pregnant again. And Baby Boy is so incredibly rambunctious, I’m not sure his growth will continue for all the (likely) doing nothing I’ll be doing. I’m not sure if even Netflix will be able to keep up lol 🙂

• December 6, 2014 at 10:43 pm

What a sweetie! I love that you are stopping amidst the bus life to take stock in the now, the fast growing boy before you. The years you are in are so demanding yet someday you will look back and wish you could savor one more kiss, one more vision of him darting forward to his next adventure, one more snuggle. Enjoy your new home and your time.
    Elin Stebbins Waldal recently posted…4 Ways to Shift Internal ChatterMy Profile

• December 7, 2014 at 2:00 am

Thank you Elin. Such wonderful and encouraging things you said. I fear that time, yet I know it’s fast approaching. Sometimes I wonder if that’s why there might be more babies on the horizon for us…. 🙂

• January 27, 2015 at 12:37 am

Thanks, Echo! I enjoy sharing his growth and making this written log of how much and how often things change! It’s almost like I can hold on to some of the little things a bit longer 🙂