Welcome to the January 2015 Carnival of Natural Parenting: Household Chores

This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Carnival of Natural Parenting hosted by Code Name: Mama and Hobo Mama. This month our participants have shared stories, tips, and tricks on tackling household chores. Please read to the end to find a list of links to the other carnival participants.

***

They certainly aren’t fun. Sometimes they’re manageable, overwhelming, or stress inducing.  Other times, chores can be stress relieving.  Sometimes they’re a good way to release pent up energy or anger. Sometimes a good way to be one with oneself or sort through an issue.

Around our place, we’re still a bit in the midst of figuring out the division of chores. Before we moved into our house, I did most of the cleaning.  I also did the majority of the cooking, the bill paying, the organizing, and the managing of the household and family activities. Hun did most of the more “manly” tasks, like fixing our family vehicle.  He also pitched in by washing dishes many nights, giving me some time for a small break, and helping pick up around the apartment.  And, one of his most important contributions for our home running smoothly, is going to work every day.

cleaning, chores, kitchen, dishes

Since moving in and working on improvements to the house, we’ve continued to share the chores. Hun has done the biggest projects requiring certain skills.  He’s laid tile, installed flooring, and cut anything that needed cutting.  I’ve stuck to more basic and differently skilled tasks (i.e. sewing curtains, painting walls). I’ve also stuck to the cooking and the cleaning up of cooking/eating. Hun has continued to go to work, providing for our needs.

As the arrival of guests came, I started to organize and clean up. Now that our house guests are gone, we’ve had a chance to move in a little more.  Next, we have quite a bit of organizing and cleaning to do.  Right now, I can’t be sure what it will look like in even 30 days. What I do know is that Monkey Boy is (and has been) helping around the house with things.

cleaning, chores, kitchen, gloves

Monkey Boy helps pick up his toys. He helps as I organize things into rooms.  Of course, he also creates more disorganization, but that’s what being a toddler is all about, no? Monkey Boy will bring me the broom and dustpan and throw trash away.  He likes helping put the pots and pans away, too.

We fully anticipate Monkey Boy’s continued help as he grows and ages. I expect he’ll be helping with cleaning in a more active way, if even of his own space. I also expect that he’ll continue to work right alongside Hun and I as we work on other minor house improvements and repairs.  I’m sure he’ll also help with gardening, clothes washing/drying, and other household tasks.

In all this, I am continuously learning that I’m not the only one in our space. Things do not have to always go or be my way. Other ideas and suggestions can even make things better than I have them.  I’m also learning that it is OK to ensure all members of our family are held accountable for keeping the household running smoothly. Yes, that definitely includes myself.

Besides, when we all pitch in, we all enjoy more free time to spend together or in pursuing other goals, tasks, or hobbies.

How are chores managed in your house? Do you use chore charts or other methods of tracking chores? Do you split chores evenly in some way or are things more haphazard and done when needed?

As an aside, I want to just say thank you for reading this post. I’ve certainly missed being part of the Carnival of Natural Parenting community and topic posting these last few months. I’m glad to be back with everyone, bloggers and readers alike!! And don’t forget to click through to the other topic posters this month to see how they get things done.

***

Carnival of Natural Parenting -- Hobo Mama and Code Name: MamaVisit Code Name: Mama and Hobo Mama to find out how you can participate in the next Carnival of Natural Parenting!

Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:

• Seven Tips for Decluttering with Your Clutterbug — Do you have a child with hoarder tendencies? Help them declutter before the Legos and stuffed animals take over your home. Charlie of Three Blind Wives, guest posting at Natural Parents Network, offers some expert advice.
  • Chores, Chores, ChoresLife Breath Present talks about how her family divides chores, and how Monkey Boy joins in to keep their home clean and running smoothly.
  • Of Toddlers & Housework — Holly at Leaves of Lavender talks about some of the ways she lets her not-quite-3-year-old son help out around the house.
  • Whistling While We Work: On Kids and Chores — Dionna at Code Name: Mama realized recently that she often feel resentful when she carryies more than her share of the household load. And so several weeks ago, she brought a laundry basket upstairs and had the kids start folding. Thus began a regular series of household responsibilities for her kids.
  • The 4-Day Laundry Plan — Becca at The Earthling’s Handbook line-dries all of her laundry, including cloth diapers, and stays sane while also working full-time outside the home. She’s sharing her tips!
  • Chores Don’t Have To Be Drudgery — Jennifer at Hybrid Rasta Mama discusses how she gets the whole family motivated in the daily care and maintenance of maintaining a home. After all, chores do not have to be drudgery.
  • Morning Chores and Weekly Chores — Kellie at Our Mindful Life can get anything done, so long as she gets her morning chores – and her weekly chores – done!
  • A place for everything and everything in its place — Make it easy to tidy up by having just enough stuff for the space you have. Lauren at Hobo Mama talks about this goal in her own home and gives tips on how to achieve it in yours.
  • Cleaning With Essential Oils — What essential oils could add a boost to your cleaning routine? That Mama Gretchen has a round up of what you might like to consider!
  • Montessori-Inspired Sweeping Activities — Deb Chitwood at Living Montessori Now tells how her children helped keep their house clean and shares ideas for Montessori-inspired sweeping activities.
  • 9 Natural Cleaning Recipes for New Mamas — Dionna of Code Name: Mama, guest posting at Mama & Baby Love, shares recipes for safer, natural homemade cleaners that parents can make with ingredients they trust. Leave a comment on the post for a chance to win a copy of Homemade Cleaners – a book packed with tons of natural cleaner recipes!

Chores, Chores, Chores

21 thoughts on “Chores, Chores, Chores

• Pingback: The 4-Day Laundry Plan (How to use cloth diapers and have a job without losing your mind) | The Earthling's Handbook

• January 13, 2015 at 11:23 am

We’re so glad to have you back! 🙂

My husband and I split chores sort of along the lines of whoever likes something more or hates it less. We’re still working on ways to involve the kids more regularly and intentionally, but both of them definitely pitch in anyway. Our seven-year-old loves mopping, washing windows, and sweeping, for instance, and the three-year-old will help with most anything. I love having him help me put away laundry, because that makes my least favorite task more enjoyable!

• January 13, 2015 at 12:27 pm

It really can be so much fun that Baby Boy loves getting involved in whatever we do. And his mimicking skills are out of this world. It’s sometimes hard for me to have him help without getting frustrated that he’s making a mess of things, but I’m working on it. 🙂

How’s that precious baby of yours?

• Pingback: Morning Chores and Weekly Chores « Our Mindful Life

• Pingback: Montessori-Inspired Sweeping Activities | LivingMontessoriNow.com

• Pingback: Chores Don't Have To Be Drudgery by Hybrid Rasta Mama

• January 13, 2015 at 2:55 pm

“Things do not have to always go or be my way.” <– Yes! This was one of the things that held me back from having our kids help more (and I regret that). Now that I am having the kids help more with chores, one of the biggest things I've learned is to let their work be – not to redo things to my standards. Yes, I can show them how I do it, but they're not going to perform at the same level. And that's ok 🙂

• January 13, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Letting go of things not being done ‘my way’ or (in my head) the ‘right way’ can sometimes be my biggest hurdle. I know I practiced that with Hun (still do) and so I think it helps me to continue doing the same even with Baby Boy (at times). It’s constant and daily work though, for me, to keep those expectations and my version of perfection out of it! 🙂

• January 13, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Transitions do throw everything out of order, don’t they? I feel like every time we move (which is frequently; we’ve moved 3 times in the last 5 years), my whole plan for keeping things clean and organized goes out the window! And add a toddler into the mix, and my home is usually a bit of a mess. 🙂 But we persevere, and I am actively working to prioritize chores, and to get my husband to help out some (he works long hours, and I admittedly feel guilty asking him to do too much; need to work on that too, since I know he probably should help out more), and to let my son help when he can, and to keep to some sort of a schedule! I actually find that a schedule is what helps me; I assign different tasks to different days, and so long as I don’t overload any one day, things generally get done.

• January 13, 2015 at 4:53 pm

I agree, having a toddler and trying to keep things neat and clean and organized is difficult. As for a schedule, I do something similar, but it’s not set in stone. Like I’ll say that I need to clean the bathrooms and set a goal date (Wednesday maybe) and then of course the goal is to get them cleaned on that day. Other things, like the kitchen floor, I do as needed (which is sometimes near daily thanks to said toddler)! 🙂

• January 13, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I think that EXPECTING a child to be a prosocial being, who naturally seeks guidance toward helpful behavior, is one of the most important attitudes an adult can have. When I need inspiration, I like to watch a home movie of my family repainting the garage door when I was 4 and my brother was around 20 months old. We’re dressed in old clothes. Each person has a brush. My parents pour small amounts of paint into plastic buckets and then close up the can. Everybody starts painting. My parents obviously know what they’re doing: starting from the top, even coverage, smoothing out drips. Meanwhile I am painting a picture on a lower section, and my brother dabs paint in random places, then starts painting the hedge–my mother notices and must be saying (it’s a silent film) “Don’t paint that; paint this.” He dabs some more paint on the door, then notices a bug on the ground. He crouches down to look at the bug. He looks up and speaks. The rest of us admire the bug briefly and return to painting. Eventually I’m done with my picture and start another while my father paints over the first section. I don’t really remember that day, but I remember years of feeling proud that I helped paint the garage door. That’s how I like family projects to be.

You might like this article about my son helping us cook when he was 3:

• January 13, 2015 at 9:02 pm

I agree about expecting a child to be prosocial and engaging in family activities all together. We totally include Baby Boy by default and it’s pretty fun, especially since we can see what things he’s learning and how his overall developmental process is going.

I love the story of that movie! 🙂

• January 14, 2015 at 10:36 am

Ah, the equitable division of labor, the ever present thorn in the side of my marriage. This is SO hard for me. I am so grateful that my husband works and is a “good provider” but I can not even count how many times I have fummed at the kitchen sink, feeling like I was hired help.

• January 14, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Well, Stephanie, you’re definitely not the only one. Usually when I find myself fuming I eventually realize I haven’t actually asked for help. Though sometimes even then my asking sounds more like, “Can’t you do x? or Why am I the only one doing anything?”. Thankfully, this outburst is often met with something along the lines of “why didn’t you just ask?” – lightbulb! 🙂

• January 14, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Our house is sloppy at best! Not the house, but the management of chores. My husband does most of them. I do a lot of dishes, laundry and straightening up after the kids all day, and I prepare foods. My husband does more of the dusting, vacuuming stuff. And there are two bathrooms and we each clean one!
    Scarlet LOVES to help. She’s quite good at cleaning the pellet stove and folding laundry. She also sets the table very well.

• January 14, 2015 at 7:52 pm

It doesn’t sound so sloppy when you write it down lol. Straightening up after the kids, preparing foods, and doing dishes are Huge tasks…give yourself more credit! 🙂

It must be nice to have a child that can help out in a productive way! 🙂

• January 21, 2015 at 7:24 pm

My toddler never brings me a broom and a dustpan! I need to get right on training that! Your kitchen picture looks vaguely familiar. Oh I know why, because it looks like mine!

You really should link this up at the mommy reality challenge that ends tonight. It’s all about just sharing that real, like your kitchen 🙂

• January 21, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Thanks, Jen! I’ll go do that now lol

And the bringing of the broom I think is more about being nosy and wanting to be involved because Momma is Not happy when there’s a mess :cue yelling:

Probably not the best way to teach….I do try and work on that yelling though! 🙂

• Pingback: Nine Natural Cleaning Recipes for New Mamas | Mama and Baby Love