After many months, lots of stress, tons of crunching (numbers and snacks), we have found a house that’s great for us!  I am so incredibly overjoyed and I can’t wait to share some of our house with each of you!

I actually am still in both shock and awe.  It’s not that I didn’t think we’d ever find something we liked, that fit our needs and wants, and was also within our budget.  I am incredibly happy that we did!  And the way we got the house really is incredible.

I want to relish in not only the idea, but the reality that we’ve bought a place for our family to turn into a home all our own!!

house, family, home

It’s been a long and arduous process.  It took months and months of searching, deleting, searching again.  We’ve suffered through disappointment, fought through wanting to give up, searched more, and didn’t give up.  We were determined to find a place we’d love.

list, house hunting, houses, home, looking for a house, searching
*intentionally blurry*

And now, finally, this!

contract under contract, house, house buying, berkshire, house hunting, home

And this!

house, ownership, closing on a house, home, home owners

Hun did this!  We did this together!  We stuck in there, through all the searching, through the disappointment, through the tough decisions.  We found the house for us and now we’re here, living in and loving our new space!

Buying a house, for us, was a bit of an unexpected process.  We originally were just looking for a nice house to rent, but quickly realized that the price of renting a home would likely be quite comparable to purchasing one.  It’s not that we never wanted a house, we simply hadn’t ever tried.

We started out looking at older (and less costly) homes, because we wanted certain things – ample yard space to play, relax, and garden. We also wanted to do some interior changes, not just your minor decorating, more renovation type changes, and a house with good history. With our loan type, this proved to be rather difficult. Plus, we were having difficulty finding something that would meet our wants and needs.  And, finding a home we wanted in our general area, at the original amount we were willing to spend on mortgage/rent, didn’t seem to exist. Though we haven’t, in the grand scheme of things, gone considerably higher, we have.  So many of our current and future needs, goals, and plans are in this house!

Nonetheless, we now live in a beautiful home! Complete with some yard space, a nice older and quiet neighborhood, room to grow a bit, while also having some space options as a family. The biggest changes we’ve made are to the one bathroom (I’ll post about that another time). We also changed painted the kitchen cabinets and bought a new floor. We have just a bit more painting to do when it warms up again and we can open the windows. We also plan to refinish the original hardwoods, since they need a bit of work, too. Then there’s other furnishing DIY projects for us to do!

Stay tuned for more information on buying a house with an upcoming mini-series right here on the blog!

house, home, buying a house, financing a house, house hunting, series, buy a house, purchase your home

Searching and Finding a House

16 thoughts on “Searching and Finding a House

• February 9, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Thank you! And yes, it is a wonderful feeling to have a place to really call our own! 🙂

• February 9, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Thanks Maureen! I love it so far….even though we just had to replace a portion of our main shutoff valve for the water AND a release valve thing for the water heater lol 🙂

• February 9, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Thank you, Echo! It really was a big thing for us. Neither of us have owned a home before and so this is truly wonderful! 🙂

• February 10, 2015 at 2:13 am

Congratulations! Now you have a space of your own in which to continue to grow the beautiful energy of your family 🙂
    onebreath recently posted…TerrorMy Profile

• February 10, 2015 at 3:29 am

Yes! We are working to keep growing our family, while also spreading our love and joy for life with others. Already we’ve had family guests for the holidays and this month and next, we’ll be having small gatherings for friends/family! I’m so grateful for our home 🙂

• February 10, 2015 at 3:37 am

WaHooooooo!!!!! Congratulations. I remember that wonderful feeling. 16 years later I still come home and say WOW!!!! We own a home. Every room has some amazing memories, funny and sad. Soon, in a few short years we will be trading in this home for a smaller one, as we first see off our first born and then in another 6 years our other to college…. We will move and down size 🙂 Again congrats and enjoy!!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing it… In a post!
    BritishMumUSA recently posted…Letter To College Bound DaughterMy Profile

• February 10, 2015 at 5:16 am

I’m so pleased to hear that you still have those wow moments even after 16 years! That alone makes me feel less “I’m so weird to be this full of gratitude and awe over a house”!

I really need to get it together so I can show our house on the blog! I probably should just do it and stop finding reasons not to lol 🙂

Change, changes. Family is all about changes. One off to college soon, that’s bug stuff!

• Pingback: Step One: Finances

• February 26, 2015 at 3:29 am

Congratulations! The process of buying a house can be so stressful but it is definitely worth it. It wasn’t that long ago that we bought our house but it is such an adventure!
    Rachel recently posted…Cherry Blossom Accent Wall DecorationMy Profile

• February 26, 2015 at 3:51 am

Thank you! Yes, buying a house in itself was such an adventure, but now being here is another kind of adventure. It’s pretty neat though, no?! 🙂

• Pingback: Learning to Garden