I’m starting a new short series all about life skills we teach our children. In this series, I’ll make sure to add a healthy dose of my musings on the importance of life skills.  This, of course, will center around and what we do/don’t do with Monkey Boy thus far.  I’ll run the series in August and September, initially.  Over time, we’ll revisit and revise the series as Monkey Boy grows and we add more children to our family.

life skills, toddler, series, challenge, vacuuming, learning, homeschooling, logo

The series will run weekly on Mondays, with a different topic each week.  I’ll cover things which go far beyond potty training.  Some may be things you are already doing, some may be new ideas to you, and still some may just be a different way of doing.

As a mother, I find that I often don’t realize when or what I’m teaching.  That’s why I designed this series.  I want to help each of us, as parents, to see that we’re really doing more than we think.  We’re teaching, educating, and preparing our children for life even while they’re still little beyond rules, redirection, and emotion regulation.

Another reason for the series is to bridge the gap and reduce some of the stigma revolving around what and how we teach our children. There are all manners of teaching happening every day, if only we take a moment to step back and see the progress each of us are making, even if our methodology differs.

Join me in talking about teaching #lifeskills to #toddlers! Click To Tweet

Some of these initial topics will include: vacuuming, washing dishes, cleaning, laundry, restaurant/public behavior, hard work, gardening, truth telling, with more to come as time goes on.

So, why don’t you join me! You don’t have to be a blogger to participate, because I can still feature your ideas! Whether you blog or not, send me a quick email to: lbp {at} lifebreathpresent.com or leave a comment below and let’s get started!

FYI: Next week, we’ll tackle vacuuming!

life skills, toddler, series, challenge, vacuuming, learning, homeschooling

Life Skills with Toddlers: New Series Announcement

16 thoughts on “Life Skills with Toddlers: New Series Announcement

• July 27, 2015 at 3:20 pm

The earlier, the better!! It’s never too early to learn manners, self-sufficiency, and respect. Great post!
    chantale evams recently posted…#100HappyDaysMy Profile

• July 27, 2015 at 4:22 pm

I think children are often capable of more than we give them credit for. Even if they are not fully capable of handling a chore by themselves, it doesn’t hurt to involve them and begin teaching responsibility in the process! My little ones (ages 3 & 1) enjoy opening and closing the dishwasher racks while I load the dishes. They stand beside the dishwasher and I tell them to open/close the top/bottom rack depending on what I’m loading. It takes more time to get the dishes done, but they are learning to be helpful, how to follow directions, and what open/close & top/bottom means. Plus, I’m teaching them how I like the dishwasher loaded 😉
    Carrie recently posted…Embracing the Gift of MotherhoodMy Profile

• July 28, 2015 at 12:04 am

Yes! This is exactly what this new series is all about! I’d love for you to share a little more about your kiddos helping with the dishes (or any other topic) in the series 🙂

• July 27, 2015 at 7:14 pm

I agree with you. Kids are eager learners and curious of life. If you make it playful and fun they will like it. And of course you have to adjust teaching after their age. I look forward to follow this theme and read the guest posts.

I have always liked your blog and you are a good hearted and kind woman. Though I don’t know you I think we could be friends with much in common even in real life. As you are a great fellow blogger I nominate you to the Sisterhood of the World Award. For the quality of your blog I nominate you to a Versatile Blogger Award. Find out more in my blog. Mama hugs!
    Charlotte recently posted…Blogger AwardsMy Profile

• July 28, 2015 at 12:07 am

Awwww! Such sweet and touching comment, Charlotte! Thank you so so much for the nominations, they are truly appreciated. I’ll have to work those into the schedule sometime soon.

As for the series, yes, children are eager learners, and only if we involve them do we actually get the opportunity to really see how they learn so quickly and are really eager to help! 🙂

• July 29, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Thanks, Lux! I’m sure you have some great insight and I’d love for you to join me on this series venture 🙂

• July 28, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Thanks for commenting on my blog… I’m so happy you did, I will be following you with this.. I’m a firm believe in manners at a young age… My child has then naturally {weird I know} so when there is one without any it is a turn off for me… AND I do have so massive potty {pooping} training issues.. Can’t wait to see what everyone says !

• July 29, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Thanks yourself, for swinging by my blog as well, Amanda! I do look forward to sharing with others how important (and often easy) it is to ensure even toddlers know some basic life skills or life skill building blocks! 🙂

• July 28, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Wonderful idea for a series. As a former early childhood educator, I am a huge advocate for real-life learning. I spent 6 years of my 20-year career specifically working with toddlers and their capabilities are hugely underestimated!

I’m eager to see what you share.

My girls helped vacuum at a young age too.

Wishing you a lovely week.
    xoxo
    Jennifer | The Deliberate Mom recently posted…Why I’ll Break My Daughter’s Heart Over and Over AgainMy Profile

• July 29, 2015 at 12:48 pm

I hope you have a great week as well, Jennifer! Yes, toddlers are so much more capable and (often) willing than we sometimes give them credit for. Working with this strength of theirs, I think, is a great way to help them begin their lifelong journey of learning and being 🙂

• July 28, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Oh, I think it’s great! I’m not sure if Des is still a toddler (newly 3?) but it’s amazing how much he CAN do. I’m not sure if it’s having an older sister or what, but the two of them are capable of more than I know.
    Life skills rock!
    Tamara recently posted…Little Remedies Helping You On the Go.My Profile

• July 29, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Oh, I’d consider Des a toddler, but I don’t know the ‘official’ rules on these things lol. I bet Des and Scarlet could practically run the household…at least they way they’d like it run lol! 🙂

• July 31, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Oh yes, I understand the sponge of a young one. Baby Boy just seems to keep increasing his “sponge” abilities as time goes on. It’s both exhausting and encouraging/inspiring at the same time! You’re welcome to share a post, or just follow along and see how we’ve done things. 🙂