Welcome to the August 2015 Carnival of Natural Parenting: Life Learners

This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Carnival of Natural Parenting hosted by Code Name: Mama and Hobo Mama. This month our participants have talked about how they continue learning throughout life and inspire their children to do the same.

***

I’ve always believed in learning.

I used to think that learning was only about school and formal education. I also thought that it led straight to a career or work, whichever you chose and that was that. My dad often tells people, I came home and declared I was going to have a career one day.

Gratefully, I most certainly did have a career. I chose my own career.  Quite often, I was eager to learn more and more about my chosen career field. Between working, work sponsored learning opportunities, or more formal education, I learned so much. But, due to the demands of my career and the physical/emotional investment I made to it daily, I didn’t enhance myself in other learning opportunities. Being an introvert, I need tons of time to decompress and regain energy in order to work more.  I mostly stayed home to read, went to dinner with friends, or went to see a play on my own.

Once Hun and I met, we discussed and planned to start our own family.  I knew I wanted more, but wasn’t quite sure how to achieve it.

Nonetheless, we plugged away at us both working until Baby Boy was born. The one thing I did start to pursue was teaching myself to crochet. During that time, I started to learn more about natural living.  I knew we were creating our own family and wanted to live a natural and healthy life.  I started began to learn more about whole/real foods and home remedies.

house, ownership, closing on a house, home, home owners

family, hun and i, just the two of us

Once Baby Boy was born, I immediately became a stay-at-home-mother.  I didn’t know what I was doing and felt quite out of sorts for some time.

Still, I plugged on.

This is partly how I became a blogger.  I spent a good bit of time on blogs.  I researched how others lived.  And, in the process, I learned more and more about natural living, health, and wellness.

baby, family, first born, love, sleeping

Today, I’m still learning. I’m still discovering new things and enhancing my knowledge.  I’m still learning different topics related to natural living.  I’m learning about other topics as well.

I’ve learned so much and plan to continue learning. Most recently, we’ve started our learning and doing journey of gardening and food independence. I’m happy to have such a willing partner in Hun.  He supports my efforts to learn and do the best we can for our family.  He believes in us meeting and discovering goals together.

Everything is a work in progress and each new thing I learn or rediscover I knew, enhances my today as well as my tomorrow. Finding a new or different way to look at things or having a challenge is fun.

A few of the things I’ve learned in the last year

– new crochet stitches

– sewing

– Back to Eden gardening basics

– how to dehydrate and brew kombucha

– freezing summer fruits

– using a slow cooker

– a bit about essential oils

– making our own toothpaste, mouthwash, and lotion

…and so much more!

I believe learning is continuous and I’m happy to be on a lifelong learning journey!

kombucha, health, wellness, fermentation, fermented drink, fermented food, brew, tea, drink

homemade, lotion, diy, natural, essential oils, kis oils, shea butter, coconut oil, beauty, product, self care

As for Baby Boy, well we believe in fostering learning and independence of thought.

To that end, we will always have books available for reading.  We’ll continue to engage in fun outdoor adventures and we’ll definitely work on life skills with our children. As Baby Boy ages, we’ll continue to foster his learning and encourage him to pursue his interests. That’s our plan, but also something we’ll be learning how to do right along with him!

waterfall, forest, adventure, travel, outdoors, mountains, fun, family, playing

collecting dirt, playing, play, toddler, fun, winter, park, play,

water, playing park, unedited
Another grainy photo….Baby Boy sure loves the water!

park, playing, fun

breastfeeding, baby, outdoors, travel, family, fun, adventures, mountains, fall, winter

***

Carnival of Natural Parenting -- Hobo Mama and Code Name: MamaVisit Code Name: Mama and Hobo Mama to find out how you can participate in the next Carnival of Natural Parenting!

Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:

• The Financial Advice That Saved My Marriage — Shortly after they got married, Emily at Natural Parents Network and her husband visited a financial planner. Many of the goals and priorities they set back then are now irrelevant, but one has stuck with them through all of the employment changes, out-of-state-moves, and child bearing: allowances.
  • Lifelong Learning — Survivor at Surviving Mexico–Adventures and Disasters writes about how her family’s philosophy of life-long learning has aided them.
  • Inspiring Children to be Lifelong Learners — Donna from Eco-Mothering discusses the reasons behind her family’s educational choices for their daughter, including a wish list for a lifetime of learning.
  • Always Learning — Kellie at Our Mindful Life loves learning, and lately she’s undertaken a special project that her family has been enjoying sharing with her.
  • We’re all unschoolers — Lauren at Hobo Mama embraces the joy in learning for its own sake, and wants to pass that along to her sons as she homeschools.
  • My children, my teachers Stoneageparent shares how becoming a parent has opened doors into learning for her and her family, through home education and forest school.
  • Never Stop Learning — Holly at Leaves of Lavender discusses her belief that some of the most important things she knows now are things she’s learned since finishing “formal” schooling.
  • Learning is a Lifelong Adventure — Learning has changed over time for Life Breath Present, and she is more excited and interested now than ever before.
  • Facebook: The Modern Forum — Dionna at Code Name: Mama explains why Facebook is today’s forum – a place where people from all walks of life can meet to discuss philosophies, debate ideas, and share information.
  • 10 Ways to Learn from Everyday Life (Inspired by my Life in Japan) — Erin at And Now, for Something Completely Different offers tips she learned while living in Japan to help you learn from everyday life.

Learning is a Lifelong Adventure

30 thoughts on “Learning is a Lifelong Adventure

• Pingback: Lifelong Learning | Surviving Mexico

• Pingback: My children, my teachers | Stone Age Parenting

• August 11, 2015 at 10:15 am

Thanks for sharing your post. I loved looking at the photos and reading about your lifelong learning experiences. I was also a social worker for awhile, and it took a lot out of me emotionally. When my children came along, I also chose to be a stay at home mum, no questions asked. I am also learning a lot each day with my children, like you are. There is a whole lot to learn about natural parenting, natural living, etc. Good luck with your gardening, it is something I’d like to do to produce more of our own food too.
    Stoneageparent recently posted…My children, my teachersMy Profile

• August 11, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Thanks, Stoneageparent! There Is so so much to learn about natural parenting, natural living, and the like. Sometimes, at least for me, it’s a bit more of a struggle to find community (which is why NPN and blogging is great) that understands and who has resources. I also find that there are different ways to do this natural parent/natural living thing, which is pretty awesome. I like options and being able to try things out to find what works best for me/us as a family! 🙂

• Pingback: The Financial Advice That Saved My Marriage | Natural Parents Network

• Pingback: Always Learning « Our Mindful Life

• August 11, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Oh how I’m loving all the learning and my comfort in the continuous-ness of it as an adult! 🙂

• August 11, 2015 at 5:13 pm

I love how you’ve opened the natural world as a learning option for your son! Enjoy every minute of it!
    Survivor recently posted…Lifelong LearningMy Profile

• August 11, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Yes! We love nature and exploring in nature. The experiences are unparalleled…yet, I know we’ve only just begun! 🙂

• August 12, 2015 at 3:26 am

As you said, life is a work in progress… there are always new things for us to learn about! I love that you are doing what you can to grow as a person and a mother, and constantly trying to learn new skills in order to have the kind of home you want to have. There are so many skills I want to have… I dream of learning to garden someday, of learning more about sewing, of continuing to develop my cooking skills. My parenting keeps evolving too, as I spend more and more time reading and figuring out what resonates with me. Thank you for the inspirational post! Love all the pictures of your darling family.
    Holly S recently posted…Never Stop LearningMy Profile

• August 12, 2015 at 5:23 am

Thank you for your kind words, Holly! I do love that I can and do learn about the things that are important to me and that will help us to have the kind of home/family life that we so desire. It’s a struggle sometimes, the learning curve, but I’ve found that the more I keep at it, the easier it gets and the curve just keeps getting shorter 🙂

• August 12, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Congratulations on becoming a Mother!! I’m glad I could give you a bit of inspiration to living and growing alongside your little one! 🙂

• August 15, 2015 at 7:09 pm

What an awesome post! Thanks for sharing 🙂
    You have such a beautiful family! Thanks for sharing pictures of your life with is; it’s so cool to see the different ways in which you guys learn together.
    I love hearing about all the different things that you’ve been exploring; I think that they all sound super interesting and cool, especially brewing your own kombucha (I totally want to do this), and making your own skincare/body care products (I’d be really interested to know what recipes you use to make them? I’m hoping to start doing that myself).
    I think you really highlighted something important in this post: academic learning, learning through your career, and learning skills that you use for your family were all important. No kind of learning was superior — it all mattered in different phases of your life. How cool is that?
    Again, thanks for sharing! This was an awesome post.

• August 16, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Erin, I’m so glad you enjoyed the post. Learning is such a valuable life tool, don’t you think? And yes, different ways of learning mattered to me differently as I’ve gone through my life. As for my skincare/body care products, I do need to post some recipes! Thanks for helping me to get on that 🙂

• August 16, 2015 at 3:35 pm

I love the life skills. So important. When I was a kid, my father died when I was so young and it was so sudden, that I think I missed a few years of life skills development. There are things in adulthood that make me freeze, and just things I plainly do not know, and no one else I know struggles with those things.
    I’ll take your advice with my kids!
    Tamara recently posted…Showing My Cat Some Love.My Profile

• August 16, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Tamara, I don’t like that there are things I don’t know even in my 30s that I’ve had to learn on my own (or am still trying to learn) because of things from my childhood, either. I think this is why it’s also so important to me (and Hun) to do the very best we know how with our children. I’d really dislike it if any of our children struggled with things that (to me) should be seemingly basic because somehow we didn’t help them learn.

I hope you’re enjoying your vacation and thanks for stopping by even while you’re busy with the joys of life this August! 🙂

• August 18, 2015 at 7:32 pm

I have no words. Reading your post and watching the pictures made me so glad. I felt a bit of hope and joy for the future. Baby Boy and his sister/brother to be are very lucky to have such great parents 🙂
    Charlotte recently posted…The Awful TruthMy Profile