Thankfully, Hun knows a bit about cars and doesn’t mind working on them. This has proven useful in more than one instance since we’ve been together.

In fact, with his knowledge/know-how, determination, and research we’ve only had to have any of our vehicles taken to a service shop 2 or 3 times for any kind of repair in our 3 years together! (Talk about saving money!)

Monkey Boy loves his Papa and so, of course, he loves to hang out with Hun doing any and everything. As a SAHM, I encourage this. Not just so I might get a few quiet(er) moments to do things or take a break, but also because the two of them doing things together brings joy to my heart.

baby, car, repair, fixing, helping, learning

car repair, working on car, baby, learning, tire

repair, lawnmower, fix, fixing, toddler

As a result, Monkey Boy has learned so many things already.

He knows what a screwdriver is, a flashlight, a ratchet, a hammer, a drill, and so much more! He also knows how to properly use a screwdriver, a hammer, and a drill. He’s learned how to use a jack, loves flashlights, and definitely tries to use many other tools Hun uses when working on or repairing our vehicles.

Check out Monkey Boy using a jack recently.

car repair, repair, jack, toddler, learning

car repair, repair, jack, toddler, learning

The only thing we do to encourage this behavior is allow Monkey Boy to be around. That’s it, nice and simple!

I don’t much mind cleaning grease and grime off either of my guys or it getting on their clothing, but I do love that Monkey Boy is not only learning, but spending some valuable time bonding with Hun.

Plus, I do make sure there is reserved clothing just for such occasions.

Does you or your mate work on cars? If so, do you allow your child(ren) to be around when working on cars? What other things does your child participate in bring joy to your heart?

Life Skills with Toddlers: Car & Small Engine Repair

14 thoughts on “Life Skills with Toddlers: Car & Small Engine Repair

• August 31, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Yes! They are such adorable photos and each time I see photos like that, my heart swells! 🙂

• September 1, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Ok, this is amazing. His growing brain is learning so much.
    We don’t work on cars around here, but my kids love to watch Cassidy repair things. I can just see them taking in those life skills.
    Tamara recently posted…I’m a Tough Grader.My Profile

• September 1, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Thanks Tamara! I think it’s really so wonderful to watch kids and how they literally soak up everything they’re exposed to! 🙂

• September 3, 2015 at 12:25 am

This certainly seems to be the case with Baby Boy. Although it is encouraging and affirming to hear from others, like yourself, that this really does work! 🙂

• September 3, 2015 at 1:50 pm

It’s so lovely seeing father and son or together, learning, bonding and having fun. My son adores helping his dad with DIY and cars etc.
    Thanks for linking #LetKidsbeKids
    Let kids be kids recently posted…Annual growing up questionsMy Profile

• September 6, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Thank you Ann! These sweet memories and experiences are really so much fun for me, too! 🙂

• September 9, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Oh I love it when the little ones learn so much early on from Daddy its so cute. Thank you ever so much for linking up to Share With Me. I hope to see you again soon. I apologize for my late commenting, just catching up on a hectic week. I appreciate all the blog support. Look forward to reading more of your SWM link ups. #sharewithme
    Jenny recently posted…Wednesday’s Blog Birthday Giveaway: Oxo Good GripsMy Profile

• September 10, 2015 at 10:51 am

Yes, Baby Boy learns a ton just from hanging around Hun! I love it and I’m glad they get that special kind of bonding. I learned quite a bit from my dad when I was younger and he worked on cars some, too. It’s interesting how those kinds of memories never fade! 🙂

• September 11, 2015 at 12:23 pm

These photos are adorable! I love that he’s learning real skills in addition to bonding. Plus, he’s gaining comfort around tools and cars, so when he’s older, it’ll be easier for him to pick up more skills because he’s so comfortable with all of it. Thanks for linking up at the Manic Mondays blog hop!
    Meredith@MommyAtoZ recently posted…W is for… Wednesday Weird Parenting NewsMy Profile

• September 11, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Yes, we’re all about the real skills when it comes to learning. Some of the most important things aren’t actually learned easily in books, rather hands-on! 🙂