Continuing on in this series, I’ve decided to talk about one of those tasks not many enjoy, but is necessary – laundry.  I’m hit or miss on the laundry routine, as in sometimes I don’t mind and other times I wish it didn’t need done.  Nonetheless, doing laundry is still an important life skill that Baby Boy is learning.

Baby Boy’s tasks include helping put any randomly (mis)placed clothing in the laundry basket and “carry” it to the washer.  For us, this means going through the entire house, as our washer and dryer are in the garage. Thankfully, this is another task that Baby Boy enjoys helping with. In fact, more recently, Monkey Boy even says, “Wait Momma” or “Don’t go Momma”, if it seems I’ll be taking the basket without him.

Once we get to the washer, he always wants to help put clothes in, which means he really only throws a few items (mostly) in the washer. Yet, he’s happy to do so. And, furthermore, I let him!

Does it take a few extra minutes to get the laundry and start the washer? Of course.  After all, he is 2 and has the attention span to match. Plus, I have to repeat myself a few times. Still, his participation is important.

Since we don’t bother with separating and using different water temperatures, laundry may not be as complicated as others’. All of our stuff, with the exception of diapers, are washed on cold and together. This is a choice we make based on energy conservation, as well as our laundry soap.

As for washing cloth diapers, those are rinsed in cold, washed in hot with soap, rinsed in cold again (at least twice).

After the wash cycle is over (or I remember), Baby Boy can then help by getting the clothespins and taking them outside, so we can hang the clothes to dry.

sun, clothes, clothesline, drying,Sometimes, he hands me pins when I ask, other times he wanders about the yard. And then there are times when he wants to hand me the clean clothes. Except that his concept if hanging them to dry is a much quicker process than it actually is. So, we’re still working on him slowing down and only giving me one item at a time.

There are times, especially in winter, where we use our dryer more, and when we do, Baby Boy helps by pushing the clothing all the way in and closing the door.

And again, once I remember, he helps to take them out and put them in the basket for folding.  Of course, then he needs to help put his things away.

That’s our laundry routine and how Baby Boy both helps and learns an important life skill, at the same time.

How do you handle laundry?  Do you let your toddlers help with the laundry?  If so, how?

Life Skills with Toddlers: Laundry

8 thoughts on “Life Skills with Toddlers: Laundry

• August 18, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Yes, nothing like that smell of fresh laundry in the sun!
    Scarlet actually started helping on her own. She loves it! She has graduated to folding socks and underwear and putting them away. Des at three can put socks together and gather underwear, although his folding skills are suspect!
    Tamara recently posted…Teaching a Love For Giving Back.My Profile

• August 18, 2015 at 2:13 pm

It’s such a nice a refreshing smell, no?! Isn’t it wonderful when our little ones want to help do all the menial tasks that keep a house/home running smoothly? 🙂

• August 18, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Oh, I put my toddler to work! The extra time it takes me now is going to save me boat loads of time in a few years when I have these children doing most of the chores on their own. 😉 As far as laundry goes, she puts hers into her hamper when she takes it off, helps load all of the laundry (except the diapers) into the washing machine, pushes the buttons to turn in on (I show her which ones), and when it done, she moves it to the dryer and pushes the buttons to turn that on. Then she puts her clothes away, with my supervision, and puts her sister’s diapers away.
    Jessica recently posted…Paleo Takeout Review General Tso’s ChickenMy Profile

• August 18, 2015 at 7:42 pm

I’ve never really thought of it like that, but, yes. The few minutes or so it takes now will certainly be a benefit later. Plus, we believe that showing our children what’s expected early on lays a good foundation for (hopefully) less struggle down the line! 🙂

• August 19, 2015 at 11:25 pm

So important to get them to start helping out at a young age even if they don’t do it perfectly. I do a couple of loads a day, as needed for our big family. The kids have to help put the clothes away. I really don’t focus on folding them but rather putting them in the proper drawers as they end up getting unfolded anyway!)
    Rebekah recently posted…Our Homeschool EssentialsMy Profile

• August 20, 2015 at 2:47 am

Oh, I can understand that. Baby Boy’s clothes are not fully folded and also hung. Mess bothers me so, I create a system that works for me 5th find what I nees/want when I do, which cuts way down on my stress lol 🙂

• Pingback: Everything For Our Lovely & Active Toddlers {Link Party #54} - The Natural Homeschool