Welcome to the September 2015 Carnival of Natural Parenting: Kids Blogging

This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Carnival of Natural Parenting hosted by Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama. This month our participants have let their children take over writing and sharing.

***

Here’s what Monkey Boy had to type:

blogging, carnival of natural parenting, writing, typing,

When I asked what he was doing, he said that he was “working”. I suppose he had tons of work to do, because then he wanted to use the phone…

typing, working, blogging, baby, toddler, carnival of natural parenting

typing, working, blogging, baby, toddler, carnival of natural parenting, phone

typing, working, blogging, baby, toddler, carnival of natural parenting, phone

And I asked who he was talking to, he mentioned his cousin. Then he let me know that he needed to write

writing, working, blogging, baby, toddler, carnival of natural parenting

And since all that seemed like just a jumbled mess to me, I thought I’d write a quick note on what I think his perspective is when I’m at the computer or on the phone working and otherwise doing business.

Dear Computer,

Momma uses you so much and she always says she’s working. Sometimes she says she’s just playing a game, but not often. And she doesn’t like when I try to work while she’s working on you. She says I’ll mess something up and she often goes “uggh”. I ask her what’s wrong and she says she messed up or she’s frustrated. I’m not sure what ‘frustrated’ is, but she doesn’t seem happy.

I wish she’d not be working on you sometimes, computer. But I do like when we make lunch together, read books, go outside, play, color, or work on letters and words.

Sometimes I tell her to stop working or I say “don’t do work, Momma” and sometimes she listens. But, sometimes she also says, “just for a few minutes” or “I have to do something” or “I have to work”. Sometimes she says that I’m getting in the way when I climb on her desk while she’s working. But, she also lets me write on paper at her desk while she’s working. I like sitting in Papa’s chair and writing next to Momma. She always tells me how to spell words and says I’m writing nicely beside her.

But, still she won’t let me use you, computer or the mouse! I like using the mouse and pushing the buttons on the computer. Sometimes I can ‘ding’ the computer and Momma doesn’t seem to like that. But, she ‘dings’ it too. I don’t understand.

Papa also works on the computer sometimes. I don’t know why Momma and Papa both have to use computers all the time. I wish I knew what they were doing, because I also don’t know what “working” means. Sometimes they say I’m working good when I do things like write on paper. But, I like to sit on their laps.

Momma has been saying I don’t fit anymore because of the Baby. There is a big ‘ol Baby in Momma’s belly, but I still want to sit on her lap. I used to sit on her lap a lot when she was working. I could watch her typing and her fingers move so fast. I have my own keyboard, but it’s not to a computer like you and so it’s not as much fun. I do like when Momma says the letters with me on the keyboard.

I really just want to use you more, computer, but Momma and Papa don’t let me. I try to sneak and do it when they’re not looking, but they always catch me and tell me to stop. That makes me mad because I just want to work like them.

Could you maybe let Momma know that I want to work on you, too?

Monkey Boy

***

Carnival of Natural Parenting -- Hobo Mama and Code Name: MamaVisit Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama to find out how you can participate in the next Carnival of Natural Parenting!

Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:

(This list will be updated by afternoon September 8 with all the carnival links.)

Monkey Boy Working & Blogging

18 thoughts on “Monkey Boy Working & Blogging

• September 8, 2015 at 9:32 am

Hee! This is all so familiar. When Mikko was a baby, we started http://www.firstyearblogger.com just to give him an outlet for using the computer like we do. 🙂 I have to admit, with three kids now, I’m more likely to shoo the baby away from my computer than take time to make a joke blog, haha. But Mikko’s already quite knowledgeable at 8, so maybe that early practice helped. 😉
    Lauren @ Hobo Mama recently posted…Happy #NotBacktoSchool!My Profile

• September 8, 2015 at 11:16 am

Lol, that sounds like fun! I’ve never thought to do something like make a pretend blog, but maybe I could…How neat it is to see through our children’s eyes what it is we’re up to. I just loved writing this post and watching Baby Boy literally do what I do lol 🙂

• September 8, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Yes, they’re so good at that! We have an older computer that has some battery issues that I’m willing to let Baby Boy play with, but I still think he’s just a tad too young to really play with it without screwing things up (it still has data, etc. on it). So, letting him sit in my chair or squeeze onto my lap occasionally is pretty good for now lol 🙂

• September 8, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Life is so hard for our little ones! I think my son can identify with the frustration of yours; I try so hard to limit most of my computer time to after-hours (after bedtime, anyway), but there are some days when I just need to get stuff done!

I also love his beginning typing and writing skills. Sometimes, it’s fun to step back and just appreciate the things they can do, and their determination to do the same things we are doing.
    Holly S recently posted…Mixed Observations From My 3.5-Year-OldMy Profile

• September 9, 2015 at 12:30 am

I get the limiting time thing. I try to get up well before Baby Boy, but even still I have work.to.do :/ It’s an ongoing struggle, but I think overall Baby Boy is ok with me being on the computer a bit. The days when I am on longer or didn’t get up earlier are probably the harder days for him. Parenting is such a balancing act on so many levels and I think we all just try to do our best! 🙂

• September 8, 2015 at 9:49 pm

That is so cute! And it reminds me that I Scarlet gets older, she becomes more interested what people do for work, and what I do for work. It fascinates her that I don’t leave home to work, unless it’s a photography job, but that I work so hard.
    Tamara recently posted…Keeping It Real For School Lunch.My Profile

• September 9, 2015 at 12:32 am

Yes, I think Baby Boy is a bit fascinated with what I consider to be work as well. I think he tries his best to ‘understand’ what I’m doing on the computer or phone, but it’s not concrete enough for him at his young age. Yet, somehow, he understands that I’m typing (a lot) and also writing. I love having him involved (for the most part) in all that I do whether it be work on the computer or crafting, while also ensuring he gets some face time, cuddle time, and play time with me as well! 🙂

• September 9, 2015 at 1:49 am

This is the cutest thing! And I can’t believe how laid back he is talking on the phone, like I got this business under control! 🙂 Stopping by from the Let’s Be Friends Blog Hop. Have a great day!
    Trista @ The Classy Chaos recently posted…goodbye summer, hello fallMy Profile

• September 9, 2015 at 1:52 am

Thanks for stopping by, Trista! He certainly is so sure of himself, especially on that phone lol! 🙂

• September 10, 2015 at 10:50 am

Our kiddos want so much from us sometimes and it can be difficult to balance what we need to do vs what they want to do, even with an understanding that they’re simply trying to also understand all these abstract (to them) concepts that we’re doing, like using the computer for working 🙂

• September 10, 2015 at 1:45 pm

It is a strange concept for little children to understand ‘working’. I don’t think mine really understand properly at 5 & 7.
    Thanks for sharing #LetKidsBeKids
    Let kids be kids recently posted…How to make chalkboardsMy Profile

• September 11, 2015 at 5:21 pm

I love his drawing. He so much wants to identify with you working at the computer. It’s like a pictorial communication of him being you. Very moving actually. Thanks for letting us into his and your world.
    Laurie Hollman, Ph.D.
    (In my upcoming book, Unlocking Parental Intelligence: Finding Meaning in Your Child’s Behavior, there’s a chapter where a child’s drawing uncovers his relationship with his father and turns the whole relationship around. So, I never underestimate drawings!)
    Laurie Hollman, Ph.D. recently posted…Helping Your Child with ADHD – A New Parenting MindsetMy Profile

• September 11, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Laurie, you’re right. He does want to do what I do, all the time, even if it’s not working on the computer. I do believe in the power of drawings from children as well, especially with my background in Social Work. I appreciate you stopping by! 🙂

• Pingback: Life in Mexico–from the perspective of my 13 year old son | Surviving Mexico