*This post may contain affiliate links. If you click through, I may earn a small commission. Your price will never be affected by my affiliate link. On occasion, I also write sponsored posts, which help to run the blog as well. I thank you for supporting this space, so I can continue to share my journey and our family adventures. For more information, please visit the full disclosure here*
Last month, I began the practice of actually writing out my goals for the month. There’s always so much I want to do, yet I often get sidetracked. I blame that on my various interests, curiosity, and desire to be and do so much when it comes to Hun and the boys. But, it’s also because of all this sidetracking, I sometimes don’t know or remember what direction I want to go and I also get so much going, that projects aren’t completed. This seems to be more difficult for me now, but I really want to get a handle on it.
And, since I claimed intention as my word for this year, I’d sure like to see that I am being intentional when I’m doing something and following through with those intentions. Now, plans change. Life moves along and you do need to roll with the tide sometimes, but that doesn’t mean the year has to be lost because there was a derailment.
So, every month, I’m publishing a list of goals I plan to focus on for that month. Some of my goals will be ongoing, but I want to take little steps every day towards them. For those goals, I’ll list them as long as they apply. Some goals will make it off the list and then you can join me in doing a happy dance! And, of course, as I progress and complete goals, I’ll add new goals! And as priorities or life circumstances change, I may revamp the whole list. But, for now, let’s get to the goals I’ve set for myself this year.
Self Care & Development
This area goes at the top of the list because, in essence, everything flows from it. Also, because I think it’s important to ensure good self care, whether you have children or not. I know I feel much better and more alive, awake, free, and creative when I take care of myself. When my internal needs are met, I approach everything with a better perspective.
* In June, I talked about wanting to working out and get some fitness going for myself again. I had some wins in this area. I worked out 8 days. That’s an increase from no days, so this is good.
I’ll continue using the Moms Into Fitness YouTube channel with Lindsay Brin. I will note that I have greatly improved (possibly eliminated) my diastasis recti, and my abdomen looks different now (though still stretched with lots of extra skin).
* More days than not I drank more than the 2.5 bottles (or 60ozs.), so again, a win! As I mentioned before, this one isn’t so hard for me, as I enjoy water. Sometimes it’s just a matter of remembering to drink it while running after the boys and keeping the house in relative order.
So, for this month, I’ll work at 4 full bottles a day. That works out to 96ozs. of water. This is a great number when looking at the relative estimation of drinking half your body weight in water a day (170/2=85) and with it being hot and humid, I need even more.
* As for that crochet project. Yeah, I didn’t work on it at all this month. I’ve missed it, too. I’m keeping this project on the list for this month.
* I did finish 1 lettering project. I’m just starting to get into hand lettering. I think it’s really neat and I love how easy and simple it can be, while also being creative. It’s an easier project for me to stop and come back to, as I’m caring for the boys and keeping our home running smoothly. This month, I want to get at least 1 more of these done, plus the crochet I mentioned already.
Family, Relationship, & Home
The 3 most important people in my life today are Hun, Monkey Boy, and Turtle Boy. We might all live together. We might even do many things together. Honestly though, I’m not always focused. Besides, Hun and I aren’t connecting much these days, which is only leading to more stress and frustration on my part. More attention can go a long way to enhancing and improving these very important relationships.
* Ok, I did ok on the spending solid, undistracted time with Monkey Boy in June. There were more days that I really did sit on the floor and play trucks or cars or blocks. We also read, but could probably spend a bit more time doing that again. I’ve noticed my reading to the boys has dropped off over the last couple months. I think it’s been stress and being exhausted, but I love reading to the boys and I love how Monkey Boy connects parts or images from one book to another. I’m going to shoot for a trip to the library, maybe even a story time session if it coincides with our schedule. I want to continue to harness reading as a great activity and learning experience for the boys.
* Ok, so Hun and I didn’t get a chance to watch a movie together in June, but we did spend a some quality time together. We weren’t actively parenting for a few hours this month as we definitely got a few wins in the children napping/sleeping in the evening! Those little snippets of time we had together, certainly felt wonderful. Plus, we did slack off a bit for a drive and some fun.
This month, I’d still like to have a movie night or something quiet and relaxing like that together. It can be rough, as we don’t have family near and don’t really have friends or many trusted people here either. But, we are going to do something together this month, I’m sure of it!
* Playing in water – WIN!! We actually had 2 water trips in June. And, the bonus is that one of those water adventures was at the new-to-us location we’d recently come across! We also spent some time at a local spray park, too!
I didn’t plan anything with that friend I mentioned before, but July is a whole new month, right!? Once again, I’d love to see us do more water adventures. Heck, if Hun’s work schedule and hours work out, maybe we can even take a very quick trip to the coast. That one’s a stretch, but we’ll see.
* I didn’t finish that tabletop in June! We had other fun and some unexpected things happen, but I haven’t forgotten. I don’t think I can, with the tabletop getting worse and worse!
* The goal of getting seeds planted in the garden didn’t work out either. I am keeping an eye on the weeds though and working to keep them at bay in the meantime. I was really hoping for a nice garden this year, I know it’s not too late for some kind of garden, so I’m keeping this goal on the list.
* Clearly, I had super high expectations for myself in the home department for June. I did not even start on the reading corner project I’ve envisioned. Don’t get me wrong, we have a reading corner and it is semi-functional. But, it is a mess! I’m not removing this project entirely, I will put it on the back burner though. If I can get to it in July, I will. Otherwise, I won’t stress myself about it.
Blogging and Business
Obviously, blogging is important to me. And, by extension, I have goals that will not only help me to grow my blog, but also to keep me consistent and accountable. In addition, I have some bigger goals I’ve been thinking about when it comes to blogging, the internet, and the general business of things. And, this year, I’d like to see some real progress happen with all of these things.
So, this is an area that I will be working on constantly, but I want to let you all know what’s going on around here.
* I feel so proud of myself, as I did publish 2 blog posts a week in June! Admittedly, one post was a bit late, but it still got done. I also had a guest on to give some summer photography tips. I plan to have at least one guest in July and I already have penciled in some post topics/ideas I want to get up, too.
* I have consistently been using some editing apps on my phone. I’ve also been more mindful of when and how I’m photographing something, so that’s been neat. I think there’s a bit of an improvement lately. I’ll keep working on my (smartphone) photography in July!
* In order to make sure I’m maintaining a presence on social media, I also want to keep up with scheduling some posts, and still being able to engaging with others.
* In some ways, I’ve worked on ideas I have for this space. In others, not so much. It seems I’m focusing a bit on the hows and learning and making small changes here and there. Many of those changes you probably haven’t noticed yet, but I know there are more to come. I don’t really have a date set for all this just yet and I’m not sure I’m ready to make one. Stick around though, it’s sure to be fun!
That’s my list. Does it seem big and full of doing? It does to me, too, but I kind of like it that way. I like having a few things going on that somehow enhance me or our life here as a family, because otherwise I think I’d literally go crazy being around Monkey Boy’s energy and being Turtle Boy’s personal everything right now. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy it all much of the time, but honestly a woman needs more to stay grounded and grow and develop, too. Or at least, this woman does.
Afterall, I’m not just a Mom. My career is Motherhood, but Motherhood is not the entirety of me.
Now, it’s your turn. Let me know some of the goals you want to achieve, whether for this month or the summer or the year. I’m open to tips and suggestions on ways to keep motivated with goals and how to track the accomplishment of various goals, so please share. Also, let me know what you think about the photographs I’ve included in posts lately? What changes do you recommend?