I have a confession to make.

Our home isn’t always tidy.

Maybe that’s no surprise to you, since I have 2 littles undertow. Somehow that’s surprising to me. I guess I thought maybe I could keep it all together with a 3 year old and an infant. I suppose, I was in fantasy mode whenever I thought this would be the case. Quite possibly I’m in fantasy mode because I think I actually can tidy up our home (one day). I’ve yet to really try, so I’ll have to keep you posted on that progress.

Nonetheless, our home isn’t tidy. And, if you asked me, I’d say our home has yet to ever be tidy.

Sure, I make an effort. I clean the bathrooms at least once every week (or two). I wash the dishes and wipe down the table and countertops every night. I sweep nearly every day, at least once (in the kitchen), after I’m done with the dishes. I might even mop, at least once a week. The rest of the floors in the house are mopped a few times a month, the living room carpet vacuumed once a week or so. Occasionally, I’ll wipe down the storm door, the patio doors, and even that lovely big picture window overlooking our expansive backyard. (I love that window the most, by the way.)

love, family, home, tidy, clean, home

Yet our home isn’t really tidy.

It is (relatively) clean, it’s just not tidy. Yet, somehow the perfectionist, tidy, organized, keep things in order person I am is ok with this fact. Yes, I said it. I’m ok with our home not being tidy.

Our home isn't tidy and I'm ok with that! Click To Tweet

I’m ok with our home because, we’re still figuring things out; ways we want to organize and decorate. Heck, we haven’t even completed all of the painting in all of the rooms. Our furniture is mismatched, garnered from different places and times in life. We’re both short and long on storage, namely storage of the kids’ things, but that really just goes back to not having it all figured out just yet.

We’ve been here, in this lovely house for a year and a half now and we’re still not quite settled in.

Sure, we have our things all over and we’ve made a few changes, but we’re so very far from done. In many many ways we’ve barely started.

toys, clean, home, tidy, family, life, love

There’s much left to do, but also nothing to do. We have nothing to do in some ways, because we’re already in this lovely house. We’ve made this house into our home and we work at that every day. Each one of us, yes even Turtle Boy who’s only still a baby. We each put our mark on this house each day that we’re here; every step and mess we make within. Every change we will (eventually) make. Every memory we create. Every sound of laughter and play. All of this is ours and we’ll always be able to share together. This is how we make our mark on this house.

Love isn't tidy and when making a home, it won't be tidy either. Click To Tweet

There’s so much more we want. Yet, also nothing more. We have each other and we love and enjoy one another. We struggle through this life we’ve all four been afforded and we love each other ever more each day. And that, my friends, is exactly why my house isn’t tidy.

tidy, home, family, life, quote, tidy

Do you have a tidy house? If so, please do tell how you make that happen. Or maybe you’re house isn’t so tidy and you’re ok with that, too. I’d love to hear your stories in the comments below.

Love Isn’t Tidy

16 thoughts on “Love Isn’t Tidy

• June 2, 2016 at 10:55 pm

Yes, oh so messy! I love that you have a cleaning lady even every 2 weeks! I’d love to have a cleaning lady even just once a month. In fact, I just asked Hun if we could get someone once a month! Nonetheless, I’ll take the messy love that’s fun and happy over the tidy and organized space I *really* want. Afterall, one day I’m sure I’ll be happy that someone comes to mess up the house occasionally! 🙂

• June 2, 2016 at 2:53 pm

I love this sentiment. You’re absolutely right love and life isn’t neat and tied up in a pretty bow all the time. It’s messy and complicated at times, but then what isn’t right? I have to say I know how you feel about your home. We’re going on 3 years in our home and we’re just starting to finally settle in. I guess it really takes a while to make a space your own. Thanks so much for sharing this on #shinebloghop this week!

• June 2, 2016 at 6:35 pm

I agree. We went from renting apartments to buying a house, so I think, in some ways, even that has been an adjustment. We’re figuring it out day by day though! And, I’m trying not to do it all at once, as is my nature!

• June 3, 2016 at 8:23 pm

That’s certainly true! We can’t have a tidy house and have kids learning and growing in front of our eyes!

• June 3, 2016 at 11:13 am

I appreciate your title, because that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? While your kids are most of the reason your house is messy, they’re also the source of so much love.
    #SHINEbloghop

• June 17, 2016 at 11:22 am

No, the house definitely isn’t tidy. We have a cleaning woman who comes every other week, so it’s clean, but definitely not tidy! Something has to give, right? I think you’re doing great, mama! Thanks for sharing at the Manic Mondays blog hop 🙂

• June 20, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Absolutely! In my previous career, I always felt slightly off whenever I walked into a home that didn’t look lived in. That instinct helped me in many ways with my clients. And now that I have my own family I understand it even more. And, as I said, I’m happy to have a clean, though untidy, home! 🙂

• June 21, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Your post resonates deeply with me. I am a mom of 4 and guardian of 1 yep 5 kids!! Our house is tidy about 90% of the time because I am a believer in chores, all the kids and including myself have a clipboard with our jobs for the day… And if they want to play with any electronics or go on any outings everything has to be completed. Your babies are still young so untidiness equals exploration and learning.

• June 21, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Vada, thank you for this! Somewhere in my heart I know we’re likely not done adding littles to our family, yet I do wonder if our home will ever be tidy again! Your comment brings me hope for the future, as it helps me with perspective on the issue.

Monkey Boy does help a bit, but it’s just not exactly tidy either way it goes. And yes, there’s much exploration and learning happening as he uses his imagination and enhances his skills. Turtle Boy is definitely exploring every nook and cranny in the house, too! 🙂

• October 25, 2016 at 9:41 am

Isn’t this the best bit about love? That you share everything, including the mess. Love this post.

• October 25, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Thank you, Laura! I think it’s so important to recognize what’s true about my life today instead of worrying about the mess. I appreciate you stopping by today! 🙂