I woke up the other day with a scratchy throat. The kind that signals some sort of germ has invaded your system. I ignored it. Meaning, I rationalized that nothing could be wrong, so I didn’t do anything about it. Within a few hours, my nose started dripping. Like out of the blue dripping, for no reason. It wasn’t cold (hello summer here!) and I definitely wasn’t using or around any chemicals. In fact, I was just typing away somewhere on the Internet.

I don’t typically have allergies of any kind. Hun had cut the grass 2 or 3 days prior and we’d had some evening summer showers over the last couple nights. So, I was quite perplexed. Nonetheless, I still felt quite alright as I sat there in silence typing and away, nose dripping.

Things changed, as they’re want to, once the boys woke up for the day. Despite they’re waking in a relatively good place, the noise started to overwhelm me almost immediately. And while making food for Monkey Boy and I, my frustration level kept going up. Like higher than normal up.

virtue, rest, work, quote, alan cohen, some days

By then, I figured maybe I was sick with something. I knew the best course of action wasn’t the inaction I’d kept up all morning.  Rather, it was time to take Vitamin C and work to fight off the germs that invaded my system.

That’s when I also noticed a slight stuffiness in my head. Somehow I was keeping my cool with the boys. We planned to go for a walk and bike ride, the first one in a week thanks to the rainy days.

But before long, all I could think about was my dripping nose, scratchy throat, and the stuffiness in my head. I just wanted to rest. I wanted some quiet. The sky was overcast, which only further compounded my desire to stay home and chill.

When you have 2 busy little boys, your options are limited in both the chill and silence departments. By the time we were ready for our walk, I’d fully given up on faking wellness. I’d announced to the boys that we were taking our vitamins because we’re sick and they’d help us get well. So, as armed as I could be, we took our walk.

Despite my drippy nose, scratchy throat, and stuffy head, we took our standard 2 laps around the block and some trips around a nearby cul-de-sac. Monkey Boy got some of was able to get some of his energy out and Turtle Boy was fit for a nap by the time we returned home.

bike, bicycle, toddler, child, fun, summer, walk, bike ride, bike riding, learning, sun

And that’s when it hit me. We’d had some days of this germ invasion already.

Monkey Boy maybe had a scratchy throat a day or so before.  He’d been Super wild, coughing for no apparent reason, and had his own drippy nose. Over the last few days, I hadn’t had enough good rest. I’d been pushing myself lately, I hadn’t been sticking to my bedtime, and (of course) we hadn’t been outside too much the previous week.

Once I realized all this, I felt a level of control return.

I knew that these germs (likely) weren’t serious and would pass relatively quickly. I knew that taking our vitamins would help us recover quickly. I also knew that I my body was telling me to slow down a little more.

Because there are some days that are for doing and there are others for taking time to be in the good.

I was once again reminded there are simply some days when you can go go go and others when you need to rest.

I was reminded that some day I won’t have the boys like I do today. Heck, I won’t have them the same tomorrow even! Some days we are free to roam and play. Others we just hang out. And still other days when we do some and relax some throughout the day.

And, honestly, I’m not even sure which type of day I like best. What I do know, is some days are meant to be whatever unfolds. And interestingly enough, that’s the actual power of life.

What are your favorite kind of days? How do you know when it’s time to rest? What signals has your body given you when it’s time to scale back?

There are some days that are for doing and there are others for taking time to be in the good. Click To Tweet

Some Days Are For Rest

10 thoughts on “Some Days Are For Rest

• July 25, 2016 at 9:06 pm

It was actually a sore throat that I didn’t pay any attention when I had my first newborn baby to triggering my immune system to attack itself. To this day, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and ever since that trigger, I have learned that I cannot push my body. It was a tough lesson learned but I agree whole heartedly with your post and love the quote by Alan.

Thanks for sharing with Small Victories Sunday Linkup and I hope you linked up with our Pintastic Pinterest Party too. Pinning to our linkup board and hope you found some great posts to visit this week!
    Tanya @ Moms Small Victories recently posted…Free Weekly Planner Printable Based on 7 Habits of Highly Effective People BookMy Profile

• July 25, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Tanya, I did find some other good posts and I was happy to check out some people. I will definitely need to check out the Pintastic Pinterest Party though.

As far as our self-care, it is so so important that we do stop and pay attention and care for ourselves and our bodies. Just this evening, I was talking with Hun about something I recently felt in my foot a couple of times. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t anything serious and in need of medical attention (it’s not – phew!). 🙂

• July 27, 2016 at 10:04 am

This is so true! But, I still push myself to the limits even though I know I should rest. Usually my body tells me by being exhausted and then I just have to hit the snooze button on the alarm. I think that even though I love getting things done and being on the go, my favorite days are spent at home on a rainy or overcast day just snuggled up with hubby reading a good book.
    Gina recently posted…Resolutions for August of My Happiness ProjectMy Profile

• July 27, 2016 at 10:35 am

Those truly are wonderful days! Sometimes I even have to take a day of rest just to recharge Before I get sick. 🙂

• July 27, 2016 at 7:57 pm

It’s always a little funny to get sick in the summer, isn’t it? The body tells us! I hope you’re feeling well. The best kinds of days for me are a mix of the frantic ones, followed by the mellow ones, following by the frantic ones, and then I get a nice in-between day!
    Tamara recently posted…Ten Reasons You’ll LOVE Blogger Bash: GiveawayMy Profile

• July 28, 2016 at 10:37 am

Haha! I think I’d have to agree with you a bit, Tamara. I love the busy busy days, but also the calmer ones, and the in-betweens can just be so.much.fun! I think it’s good to mix it up…or at least that’s what happens so maybe I’m just accustomed to that lol 🙂

• July 27, 2016 at 11:27 pm

In my faith, we observe Sunday as a day of rest every week. Theoretically, as much as it is possible to do when you have 6 little kids around, anyway! No working, shopping, parties, or busyness. Just rest and spending time together as a family and focusing on spiritually recalibrating yourself for the week ahead. When I do it, things go better.
    Jenny @ Unremarkable Files recently posted…Entering the Road Race Spectator World as an OutsiderMy Profile

• July 28, 2016 at 10:41 am

Yes. I always thought of Sundays as rest days. Now, though, our week actually starts on Sunday because that’s Hun’s work schedule. Our weekend is compacted into one day (and sometimes) a day during the week. With this truncated schedule and being home with the littles all the time, I sometimes get caught up in just moving and moving and doing, instead of ensuring that I also plan for rest whether we are able to as a family or not. Thankfully, the boys are still pretty young, so the ‘requirement’ to do more is a little lower! 🙂

• July 28, 2016 at 3:54 pm

Love this! I’ve got one of those scratchy throats right now, and I’m happily sitting on the couch resting and being inspired by fun blogs. I think both types of days–busy and slow–are good. I’ve always been a little-bit-of-everything kind of girl, so I think I enjoy the variety. We’ve been busy lately, too, so I think we might be headed for a slow and simple weekend. 🙂

• July 29, 2016 at 12:11 pm

I love that little bit of everything, especially when I’m learning more and accomplishing things.

I hope you have a great slow and relaxing weekend, while you nurse your sore throat! 🙂